Saturday, February 13, 2016

The year of Hope :: Explained

Friends, I've been holding out on you. I apologize. I'm terrible at keeping secrets and this is such a big one.

Spirit lead me Available in my shop: HERE
But maybe you can guess.

I'm not getting enough sleep.

And I am going to lots of appointments.

And if you catch me on a good day you might say I'm glowing. (On not so good days I might be crying).

Friends, I am beyond thrilled to announce to you all that our family is growing.

Wood flash card available in my shop: HERE

We are in the midst of mountains of paperwork and clearances, and FBI fingerprints, and birth certificates and more paperwork.
I cried when this came in the mail.
We are adopting!

This song has been one that has been really meaningful to me: No Longer Slaves // I am especially encouraged by the words "You split the sea so I could walk right through it". I have been praying for the "seas of paperwork" to split so we can walk right through. And I believe that is happening!



So this year, 2016: the year of Hope, our hope is focused on our adoption.
Add caption
I'm going to answer some of the questions that I've been asked so far.

1. Q. Where are you adopting from (domestic/international).
     A. We are adopting internationally from China.
Big sister, Caroline finding China on the globe

 2. Q. So you are you finally going to have a boy??
    A. No. Although there is a great need in China for families to adopt boys, after much prayer and consideration we have decided on another girl.

Just as the other girls kissed my belly when pregnant, Caroline is kissing "Little Sister" on the globe.

3. Q. How old will she be?
    A. We don't really know - probably about two years old when we bring her home.

4. Q. How long does it take?
    A. About two years. China has a very steady, predictable program, and the current time frame for girls is about two years. Based on that, we anticipate bringing our daughter home January, 2018.
These ladies are all so excited to have another sister! I'll need a new hashtag: #hessgirlsx5

5. Q. Do you have to go to China?
    A. Yes. We will go to China to bring our daughter home and will be out of the country for about two weeks.

6. Q. Why go to China when there are children in the United States who need families?
    A. This is a tough one. As many of you know we did foster care a few years ago. Not all children who are in foster care will be adopted, in fact, many of them won't. We felt that the back and forth (between visits to birth family and special appointments) was too difficult for our family and would rather settle in with one child who we can help to nurture and grow.

Maggie is a natural little Mommy. She's eager to meet her sister and prays for her and her birth mom.

7. Q. So you're adopting a healthy infant girl? (Actually this isn't usually a question because it is assumed).
   A. While this used to be the norm for China adoptions it is no longer the case.  In fact, there are more boys than girls who need families in China right now. And all the children who need families right now are special needs. Special needs may be something such as cleft lip, cleft palate, webbed fingers, or a birth mark. There are many other special needs many which are easily manageable and/or correctable.

Anything I missed? Please feel free to ask questions. I'm not politically correct so don't worry if you feel like you don't have the "right language" to ask. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Enjoy this live version of Hillsong United singing "Oceans". Such a lovely song that has been an encouragement to me during this process so far.


6 comments:

  1. We love you all and have plenty of love for another Hess xoxoox Gpa and Nana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nana & Gpa! Looking forward to our visit soon!

      Delete
  2. So excited for you all! Several of my friends are going through this process... an exciting and overwhelming time to be sure! Lots of prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dana! We definitely appreciate the prayers!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to you guys! Super exciting!! :)
    Love,
    Ang

    ReplyDelete