Thursday, July 6, 2017

Belly Button Connection

I've been thinking a lot about family and what it means to be a family. 

Yesterday, Ruthie was on my bed for a tickle battle. She lifted up her shirt, poked her belly button, and said "Nen, nen, nen!!" (Again, again, again). As I blew raspberries on her belly and found her most ticklish places I was struck with sudden tears in my eyes. 




That adorable belly button that I am tickling was once connected to another woman. A woman who likely had hopes and dreams for her unborn baby. And what a gift that woman has given to Ruth, to give her life. What a sacrifice she made, to give her a new hope for her future. 




Family is something meant to be shared. While most of us take for granted that we are part of a family (or multiple families through in-laws and church families, etc), not everyone has been given that gift. 




Every child deserves to be part of a family. I personally am a fan of big families with heaps of babies. 




Just today China has changed their laws regarding eligibility of Adoptive Parents. One of those changes restricts the number of children you can have in your home to (it is now 5, previously there was no limit). Also the youngest child in your home must be 3 years old before adopting. 




While I don't find anything inherently wrong with the requirements, there are many families who are in early stages of adoption with China who no longer meet the elegibility requirements and must pursue adoption elsewhere or wait until the time comes that they do meet them (as in a current 2-year-old turning 3). Not only are these changes heartbreaking for the families in process, but also all the children who now do not have families coming for them. 




If you have ever considered adoption I would love to chat with you about our experience. There are children just like our Ruthie who need a mom and a dad. Sisters and brothers are also great, but a mom and dad of their own are what they need most. 




Ruthie is so special, such a delight to our hearts and a joy to our family. I hope one of my friends will "step out on the water" and grow your family with a little boy or girl from China. 



I promise, it will be worth the wait. 

1 comment: