Friday, February 3, 2017

Entryway Make Over

It's been awhile since I've done a home project. I love to freshen things up with paint. We painted nearly the entire house when we bought it almost four years ago. The one thing we did not paint were the doors and trim (although we bought trim paint and it's been in the basement ever since!).

I got it in my head that I really should paint our entry way door. Why? I have no idea. This, obviously, is more a project for me as I'm the one who will see it.
BEFORE
The project started out because Anne really wanted me to paint a sign that said, "East or West, Home is Best." We had read it in one of the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder (I can't remember which one, but I'm sure Annie could tell you.) Pa had just gotten home after being away for months as there was no work for him nearby. He got home and said this, "East or West, home is best." Apparently this had been a common saying back in that time as I've since found some really old stitched samplers that say "travel east, travel west, after all home is best."

The sign I made for above the door is 6 feet long. I have had that particular board in my garage for about a year and a half. The back of the wood has many cracks running all the way through it. I knew if I ever cut the board it would split all to pieces and be useless. I wasn't sure what I would ever do with it until the inspiration struck! It ended up being the perfect piece for my home, and I don't have to worry that it would sometime crack in a customer's house.

After scouring Pinterest for ideas, I finally struck upon wanting a really dark front door as our trim paint we already had is a very very bright white.

Once I had the door painted a friend stopped by. Vanessa suggested painting those inserts the same color as the door. I knew it would be added work, but I loved her idea!

DURING
Since I love paint, I've been really eager to try Magnolia Home's new line of paint. My dad gave me a gift card for Christmas so I went for it, as this was a special treat for me! After much debating I went with the color Blackboard with a Matte finish. I am SO happy with the result. The paint is a very thick paint. Even so, it did take two coats to cover the white that the door was before.

This is when I was half regretting Vanessa's suggestion! Lots of work to get those little trim pieces. They still aren't perfect, but good enough for me!


The wreath was a great find at Home Goods

AFTER
Like I said, I'm really pleased with the result. Looking at it makes me feel so happy!

2 comments:

  1. I love this so much!! Sorry for the added work but it looks beautiful! I would sit and stare at it all day if I was you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Emily!! It came out so good!

    ReplyDelete