Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Women of Titus 2

Do you know this portion of Scripture?

Let me share it with you:

Titus 2:1-5 (NIV)

"You must teach what is in accord with sound doctrine. Teach the older men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance. Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God."

Did you catch it? The older women are to teach the younger women. And, I think that while all of the attributes listed are good, they can almost be boiled down to this "teach the younger women to be content." Almost, but not quite.

I've had conversations with young mothers like myself who feel that they aren't doing enough. That there is pressure to do more. Basically, to be outside the home doing "something". But in Paul's letter here to Titus, he is clearly stating that the young women are to love their children, to be busy at HOME, and to be subject to their husbands. Perhaps some find these verses constraining, but I find them freeing. Praise God that I can be at home with my children! Praise God that I can be busy at home! Praise God that I can love my husband and be subject to him! Praise God for the older women who are teaching the younger women!!

Wait!! Are there older women teaching us younger women? Or are we floundering, alone, lost, and confused. I hope that if you are a young mother reading this, that you have someone older and more experienced teaching you. I know I'm thankful for the older women who have spoken encouraging words to me. "You're doing a great job, Emily." "I pray for you daily!" "I love you!" "I love your family." I am definitely thankful to be in a church where there are many women who speak encouraging words to me on a regular basis.

Last month in our church newsletter this poem was shared, and it really encouraged me. I wanted to share it with you.

"What did I get Done Today?" By Shirley A. Warfel
May 13, 1982
"What did I get done today?"
I asked myself at the close of day.
There were meals to plan -
some exotic dishes,
others labeled "quite nutritious."
There were beds to change and wash to do
and stacks of dishes to name a few.
There were friends to call and bills to pay
and scattered toys to put away.
There's always plenty of mending to do,
and don't forget, Spring cleaning, too!

But, "what did I get done today?"

My daughters and I had quite an excursion,
with venturous tales beyond all diversion.
We hiked to a farm, "so far away",
and watched the baby lambs at play.
We sailed some leaves down a little brook,
and tossed some stones in the minnow's nook.
We picked some flowers in the shade,
and talked about God and all He had made.
We gazed at a butterfly's intricate wings,
and marveled at such a beautiful thing.

We had lunch where the willow bends,
and left some morsels for our "friends".
We held hands and sang and laughed,
and then we even skipped our naps!
We wished some wishes and dreamed some dreams,
and spent some time thinking up schemes.
At supper we relived it again,
as we told Daddy, "how busy we'd been!"
That night we stared in the looking glass,
Oh my, how little girls grow up fast!

Now, "what did I really get done today?"
I taught a child how to love and pray.


So many things in this poem resonated with me. What about you? What did you really get done today?




1 comment:

  1. I've recently heard and read a quote about raising children that goes something like this: "Success in any other area of life does not make up for failure at home." That has definitely resonated with me. If we have children, loving them thoroughly and teaching them is THE most important thing we can "do" and other tasks that might give us a sense of self-value or self-worth probably aren't as important as how we are with our kids and spouse.

    ReplyDelete