Tuesday, June 30, 2015

This Man of Mine (A Father's Day post)

Late - As always.

Caution: This post will contain lots of adorable father-daughter pictures along with words of adoration. You've been warned.

But first....

A few days before Father's Day, the hubby and I had a serious discussion. As unpleasant as the discussion was, it was necessary. You see, although we like to think we will grow old together, we are both acutely aware of the fact that this is not a given. We have had three friends (and know of several others) who have lost their spouse while still in their twenties through various unexpected occurrences (cancer, an accident, and unknown health condition).

Since the hubby works in the insurance industry, we first purchased life insurance when I was pregnant with Anne. We now have four daughters and realized that if something we to happen to either one of us, we should probably have more money than we would have needed seven years ago. We discussed what we would need/want the money to cover, and who to go to for financial advice. (Obviously I'm the one who would need the financial advice, and I'm grateful that we have a friend to go to who we trust will give us sound advice should we need it). All that to say, if you don't have life insurance and you have children, I would recommend getting it. It's really not that expensive and will certainly provide peace of mind should you ever need to use the money.

And now..... Because I love old poetry I will use these famous words from Elizabeth Barrett Browning.
Sonnet 43:
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.


I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
    My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight


For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.


  I love thee to the level of everyday's
    Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.


I love thee freely, as men might strive for Right;


I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.


  I love thee with the passion put to use
    In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.


I love thee with a love I seemed to lose


With my lost saints,–I love thee with the breath,


Smiles, tears, of all my life!–and, if God choose,


I shall but love thee better after death.






Caroline waving to a dog



Thanks, Trent, for all you do. For telling stories to the girls, for making Saturday morning breakfasts, for not getting upset over a messy house and messy children, for playing, for being the calm in the midst of all your emotional girls, for your great ideas for evening treats, for washing my dishes, and all the other endless, simple ways you are present in our lives and show us your love. Most of all, thank you for the wonderful example of what a Christ-follower looks like. I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment