Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Comparison

Three weeks ago I found while scrolling through Instagram this Theodore Roosevelt quote shared by @goldenpaisleyshop .

Comparison is the thief of joy. Doesn't that sound like it should be in the book of Proverbs?

Those of you who follow me on Facebook or have purchased a sign from me in the past year will know that I stamp all of my work with a stamp made for me by 2Impress which reads:

I think it is nearly impossible not to compare. I find myself constantly looking at the art of other people and think "I could NEVER do that!". And yet here is an artist, GoldenPaisleyShop who does beautiful work that I admire, and even she falls into this trap of comparison.

This past weekend I had the opportunity to be a vendor at a beautiful outdoor market. Nearly all the vendors had some sort of signs. And it was so easy to find myself judging the work of others and constantly comparing myself to these other artists. Most of the vendors were selling painted furniture, and even hearing the chatter amongst other vendors each one had a little insecurity about their own work when compared with all these other vendors.

So how do we get past it? I think just being aware of how easily our joy is stolen as a result of comparison is a good place to start. Since it's something I've been thinking about for the past three weeks it was a little easier for me to try not to compare my work with the others around me at this event. I was able to celebrate over each item sold for myself and each vendor at the event. Because the reality is, these women put a lot of time into their work. And each piece was beautiful in it's own way. And my style might not be the right style for everyone, and that's okay!

Friends, don't let comparison steal your joy. Nice words, Teddy R. Nice words.

No comments:

Post a Comment