Friday, February 23, 2018

When Dreams Become Idols

I have this insane, creative mind which allows me to have lots of really great (in my humble opinion) ideas. I'm always coming up with more things I want to do with my time or who I'd like to become: be an artist, a writer, an interior decorator (that one didn't last long), a nurse, a teacher, and a farmer, just to name a few. Within each idea there are heaps of sub-categories of specifics: watercolor or acrylic artist (florals? words?), children's literature, parenting, or a yummy novel?, NICU nurse?, and on and on.

As Americans, we live in this weird Disney culture of following your dreams. While it's all well and good to have ideas and to enjoy life, as Christians, I believe we need to be careful not to get caught up in this "follow your arrow" movement. Because sometimes our dreams are desires of the flesh, things that go against what God would have for us. And not because God hates us. No, my friends, it's because he loves us so much that he wants only what is the best for us. Just like we give rules to our children. It's not because we hate them, it's that we love them so much!


What if your dream is not "of the flesh"? There doesn't appear to be anything sinful about it, so how can we know if it is what we should do or not? I'm not an expert on, well, anything really. But I know that when I get completely wrapped up in a new idea, that the dream can rapidly explode into an idol. Most recently I've wanted to become a farmer. I know. Weird. Anyway, I've spent hours and hours researching, planning, thinking, taking notes, and pondering out how on earth you can make a living being a farmer. The reality is, I'm not going to be a farmer anytime soon. Or ever. And it struck me the other day that I've wasted so much energy on something that is not going to happen. Is it a terrible dream? Probably not. Is it going to happen for me in the next couple of years or ever? No, not likely. So why am I focusing all this energy on it?

I have made the dream of becoming a farmer an idol. The idea of a lifestyle that looks attractive to me quickly took over the reality that I should be following God unswervingly in the real life I have before me. And when I focus on what is before me, I can see how much I already have. I can see the blessings in living my best life with my amazing husband who gave me deep roots into Lancaster county, and preserves me from flying off on my thousands of ideas; the gift of my five little Hesses. When I pay close attention to home, I realize I don't need a farm or anything else to fulfill me. With the grace of God, I am learning I can be content.

Image from: http://www.sunnydaysnice.com/full-day-trips/verdon-gorge-and-lavender-fields/
In the midst of learning to be content I'll continue to be an ardent admirer of farms, especially lavender farms. After all, God is the original artist, and I intend to enjoy his creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment