Friday, March 2, 2018

The Narrow Gate

"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few." Matthew 7:13-14 (English Standard Version)

I've been thinking a lot recently about the narrow gate and what it means for modern Christians. I wish that every strong Christian family I know would be involved in some way with adoption, foster care, or orphan ministry. In fact, I recently found myself a little frustrated at what I perceive as other people's selfishness with their time and resources. Then I reminded myself that just because my narrow gate looks like giving up my time, energy and dollars to the care of children, that does not have to be every Christian's road. (Though I truly believe more people should be crossing the street and crossing oceans.) And I can only see a small portion of what others are doing. And perhaps most importantly, at the end of all this life, what others are doing is not as important as if I am following what God would have for me.

"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure." Philippians 2:12-13 ESV

Each of us need to work out our own salvation, with fear and trembling. My narrow road may not look like yours, and that's okay. 

Will I stop promoting adoption because of this revelation? Of course not! Someone on the fence may need just a little encouragement to do what God is asking them to do. And I still wish every family could have a Ruthie. Each one of my daughters has shaped me, they've brought my weaknesses out into the light where they have to be dealt with. 

We only need to look at nature to see that God is incredibly creative. Sometimes more impressive to me is how He works out so many details and intertwines people's lives to draw them together. I love China because of being led, literally, halfway around the world to my daughter. 

God writes the best stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment