Friday, April 12, 2024

Half a Year with Mary Jubilee

Half a year! It’s been a hard six months. I have been humbled and challenged and felt as though I was knocked on my butt and been scrambling to get back up and continue the race of life since she was born. 


Mary & her little lamb 

None of this is a reflection of who Mary Jubilee is. She is a fighter. She was in and out of the NICU faster than any of her siblings. She was faced with the challenge of a mama who wasn’t at her best. Mary learned to bottle feed, she tried valiantly to breastfeed, exhausting herself with hour long feeds. She worked harder and longer to achieve what comes relatively easily for many babies. While we rarely breastfeed now, we have developed a precious bond which I feared we wouldn’t achieve without it. 




Miss Mary is truly lovely. She gives the best, big smiles. She squeals and laughs and has developed a sweet personality. She has become laid back, which she really wasn’t as a wee newborn. But she has gone to countless medical appointments, hospital for Ruth’s transfusions, ballet classes, art classes, school pickup and drop off, chiropractor appointments, therapies for Heidi, and so much more without batting an eye. She naps in her bouncy seat in front of the fire when we’re home, or in her car seat when we’re on the go. Mary sleeps in her crib all night, usually 12 hours. She’s still in our room so we do give her the pacifier sometimes in the night if she fusses, but in general she does fantastic. 




I noticed this change when she started eating solid foods. It’s interesting that she took so well to eating solids since drinking has been the biggest difficulty for her. She is a very good eater and we’ve found Plum Organics baby foods to be healthy and nutritious. She’s gaining weight better than ever and getting stronger. As I am finally finishing this post she’s nearer to 7 months but she’s sitting up well and for longer stretches of time. She is rolling over both ways. She is scooting around on her belly, trying so hard to get what is just out of reach. I can tell she’s going to put everything into her mouth like Hans did so the girls are in for another time of lots of cleaning up the floors. 


Hanging with one of her favorite sisters 

She is just a real sweetie. She’s sleeping in my arms as I type this. I finally feel like we’re on our way to thriving, not just surviving. 




I have heard it said that if you’re not sure if you should have another baby that you’ll never regret having one more, but you very likely will regret that you didn’t. 










I feel this about Miss Mary. Many would have expected us to stop after we finally had a boy. But for us, it has never been about the gender of our children, and always about the gift that each child is. I know I would have regretted stopping after Hans. I feel so content with our family. While my days are jam packed, I acknowledge the blessings in each day and I am exceedingly grateful that I’m alive to have hard days. 



I love you, Mary!

No comments:

Post a Comment