Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year: Reflections

I think I enjoy each new year more than the last. One of Trent and my favorite things to do is sit down together and reflect on the previous year. I thought I would share some of the things that I was reflecting on in my life as well and the children.

Looking Back on 2010

Anne Margaret: Turned 3 in November. She is a precious child who finds great joy in very simple things and adores people. Some of the highlights of her year were snowmobiling with Paw-Paw, playing in the water out back on our deck, going to the beach for a day, going to the cabin for a week, holding Baby Magdalena in the hospital, and meeting her Great-Grandparents for the first time. She still talks about going to "Campanelli's" (Campus Deli) to eat with her grandpa who's name is Tom and her Nana. She reminds me that they have lollipops there (just in case I forgot), and that next time she won't break hers. She adores living life each day. A big accomplishment this year for Anne was a big step that we made with her in potty training. She was having some very serious bowel movement issues. As a result our family has all changed our diets and we seem to be much healthier. Anne has shown tremendous spiritual maturity for one so young. She simply adores Jesus in her childlike way. She often brings tears to my eyes when she shows her understanding of Biblical truths that are beyond her years. She praises God, and teaches her sisters how to praise God. She loves to pray, and has completely memorized Psalm 23. (I think she knows it better than me!)

Abigail Frances: Turned 1 in April. She loves playing with her big sister. Abbey enjoys Magdalena as well, but she really looks up to Anne. I am prayerful that Anne will be a good example. Abbey enjoys playing with her toy farm animals and her people from the "Loving Family" set. I highly recommend them. Since Anne has learned Psalm 23 Abbey can also say portions of it. If we say the first part of a verse she can finish the last 1-3 words! How beautiful is that? Whenever we pray she always shouts "Pappy, Paw-Paw". These are 2 of her most favorite people. Pappy is her great-grandpa (Trent's dad's father), and Paw-Paw is Trent's dad.

Magdalena Faith: Was born August 24, three weeks early. After a 6 day stay in the NICU she was able to come home and quickly gained weight. I was very concerned because she wasn't smiling or awake very much. However, she doe smile, and she laughed for the first time on Christmas morning. What a great gift! She is a treasure to our family, and we love her dearly. At her four month check-up she weighed 11 pounds, 10 ounces. Definitely on the small side for her age, but she is staying on her own curve, which we want to see. Praise God!

Emily: Had a great year at home. I was stretched in my faith this year throughout my pregnancy with Magdalena. God was faithful to me throughout those long and difficult weeks and I'm so grateful to have a happy, healthy baby girl. One of the best things I did this year was to grow spiritually. It is often in difficult situations when we learn the most, and that proved true this year. I also did a Bible Study on Esther that I loved! It was very challenging and encouraging. I take my job as "mother" very seriously. I try to read books and talk to friends who can encourage and teach me. I have had some great discussions with Trent on raising our children, and teaching them about the Lord. I love every day I get to spend with my little ones. Even the difficult days and nights, with little sleep, tantrums, runny noses and a messy house. These are days that we cannot relive. The children are only young once, and I am doing my best to train them up in the way they should go. I try to ask forgiveness of my little ones and humble myself before them so that they can learn from my example. Anne is very quick to ask for forgiveness if she does something naughty. Even though I still have to discipline her, I also try to show that I really do forgive her so that she does the same.

Trent: I couldn't ask for a better husband. We celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary in December, and really have a deep love and commitment to each other, and our children. Trent got a promotion at work this year and he is really enjoying the greater responsibilities. I love that he is feeling more fulfilled with his work. It's good for a man to have a job that he enjoys going to everyday. Trent is a wonderful provider for our family, not only financially, but spiritually. Over the summer we noticed that every morning that Trent left for work without praying for us, Anne had a terrible day. Trent now prays for us every morning. This has been by far the most peaceful winter at our home since Anne was born. We also started reading devotions together every morning and evening from a book called Daily Light on the Daily Path. I love that it is only a compilation of Scripture. These readings have also sparked some wonderful conversations.

I hope you all enjoyed 2010 as much as we did. Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment