Thursday, January 6, 2011

Life Lessons

Today has been just one of those days. Abbey's nose is runny, Anne's nose is stuffy. Nobody is happy. Magdalena has been sleeping poorly at night resulting in her sleeping in our bed on my stomach (not the most comfortable position for a long period of time). I figured the girls would nap wonderfully. HA!

Magdalena went down beautifully, in her crib! Abbey did not have a great start, so I let Anne stay up for an extra 20 minutes to help me get the turkey ready to put in the oven. This was enjoyable. Anne will be a great cook someday.

After taking Anne upstairs I realized that Abbey was in fact, not asleep. She was playing with her blankets and the laundry basket. Sometimes I think the kids are too creative. I put Anne to bed anyway, hoping for the best.

After what sounded like elephants parading through their room, I went back in to scold/spank. Abbey laughed, Anne cried (for a moment). Anne told me they were having too much fun playing to sleep. What can you say to that? They playing continued.

Then they woke up Maggie.

Mommy was NOT happy.

After more scolding and spanks I went to comfort Magdalena only to hear more carrying on. I pulled out whatever threats I could think of. I called Daddy. (He didn't answer! Shucks!!)

At one point Anne hollered downstairs to ask what I was doing.
I replied, "Cleaning!"
She said, "I want to eat, too! Can I come down?"
Me, "No, Anne. I'm not eating, I'm CLEANING!!"
Anne started crying. "Are you using my paints or Abbey's? I wanna paint!!!" More crying.
Me: chuckling despite myself, "Honey, I'm cleaning."
Anne: "Oh..."

Finally, after 2 hours of playing/crying/pretending, there was silence.

Today's life lesson? Some days, kids just don't want to nap (especially when there are 2 or more small children sharing a room) because they are having too much fun playing.
My solution? Put the "baby lock" on the door and let them play/work it out until they fall asleep or Daddy gets home, which ever comes first. Holler if someone is bleeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment