Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My Flesh is Weak

Over the past couple of weeks I have been bombarded with Scripture concerning our human weakness. I am totally willing to admit that I fall into the category of having a great weakness when it comes to desiring things of this world when I know they are not right for me.

Galatians 5:16-17 (New International Version)

"So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want."

So here we are. My flesh desires a home in the country. The Spirit desires an adoption. They are contrary to each other. At this time, we can't have both at the same time. This conflict of Flesh vs. Spirit is causing a lot of discussion between Trent and I, but also making me realize that Jesus left us with the Holy Spirit for a reason. He doesn't want us to do "whatever we want".

Matthew 26:41 (English Standard Version)

"Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

I feel this way more often than I care to admit. It's not enough just to admit that my flesh is weak even though the spirit is willing. This verse gives us something to DO about it. Watch and Pray! This is essential for me to remember. Pray, Pray, Pray!

Romans 8:26 (New International Version)

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans."

I love this verse. So, yes, we are weak, but guess what? We are not alone!! The Spirit helps us!! The Matthew verse tells us to pray. But sometimes we don't know how to pray, so what do we do? The Spirit himself intercedes for us! Now, this doesn't mean that we don't attempt to pray. I believe this means that when we are praying, and don't have the words (so we are contemplating or perhaps silent) the Spirit is interceding for us.

We make choices all day long. Some are much easier to make than others. What should I eat for lunch? what should I wear? etc are some easier choices. Of course, then there are difficult choices: What school should I send my children to? Should we move? When? Should we adopt? When? etc. Because, let's be honest, what we eat for lunch is probably not going to be a life-changing decision. I wouldn't consider myself a "worrier", I like to characterize myself more as a "planner". So, if I have a plan or goal in mind, I like to stick to it. The trouble comes when I don't have a specific time frame. Then, I tend to edge closer to the worrying side of things. Thankfully Trent hardly worries about anything, and he can quite easily bring me back to reality and help me not to worry about things.

I guess what it comes down to is faith. Perhaps my faith is not as strong as it should be.

Hebrews 11:6 (New International Version)

"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."

I cannot please God without faith.

So here I am. I want to please God. I want to remove the "fleshy" side of me. I need to be content. I need to pray. I am willing to do what the Lord requires of me, but my flesh is making it difficult.

Luke 9:23 (New International Version)

"Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.""


Did you catch that? If I want to be a disciple, I must DENY myself (pleasures of this world) and take up my cross DAILY, and follow Him. This is a conscious effort EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.! Maybe you don't have the same struggles I do, and that is great! However, I think if we are honest with each other, most of us struggle with something!

I'm thankful for each new day, for a new beginning, and yes, even for another day to deny myself. I have been blessed with a wonderful husband and three darling daughters. I am reminded to spend each moment I have with my four dearest people to the fullest. There is no sense in complaining about my selfishness. My children are happy where we live, why make them discontented by revealing my own weakness to them? My husband is happy, why nag and complain to him so that I am as the wife in Proverbs 27:15 "A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping on a rainy day".

;)

No comments:

Post a Comment