Monday, August 29, 2011

Night Time Weaning- Night 1




I know in my last post I said I wasn't really ready to give up nursing. And I'm not... completely. Just the over-night feedings and mainly because they are getting a bit out of control. Maggie has been waking up at least 2 or 3 times in the night to nurse. I decided that after her birthday party (which was Saturday) I would make her give those up.


*Sleeping on the way home from the Baltimore Zoo.*

Last night she woke up at her typical 11:15 pm time to nurse. Instead of feeding her I picked her up and sang to her and patted her back and then laid her back down in the crib and went out of the room. Well, let me tell you, she was NOT happy about this. She yelled pretty loud to get her point across that she was angry with me. She calmed down a bit and then was "talking"/making noise for about 10 minutes. After this she started to cry again, so I went back into her room to calm her down, sang to her, rubbed her back and laid her down. As soon as I started to put her back down she was doing her angry yell at me. This cycle of crying, comforting etc. went on until about midnight when she finally settled down and fell asleep.


*Trent and Maggie at the Pinnacle.*

At 4:00 am she woke up and wanted to be nursed. I did the same thing as before. This time I only had to go in the initial time, and then once more after about 10 minutes of fussing. After I left the second time she calmed herself down and slept until she woke up at about 7:30.


*At Tucquan Glen.*

I'm curious to see how she will do tonight. I really hate to hear my babies cry like that, but I know that they have to do it. In the long run it is worth it. After we did this with Abbey (only it was making her give up the pacifier at 9 months) our lives were SO much better. There was no more waking up in the night because of a lost pacifier. It only took Abbey 2 days to get over the fact that I wasn't going to give it to her anymore and she started sleeping all night and napping well. Let's hope the same holds true for Magdalena. I still intend to nurse her 3 times a day, so we'll see if that is confusing to her or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment