Tuesday, October 4, 2011

40 Years!

On Sunday I had the privilege of preparing food to celebrate my mother and father-in-law's 40th wedding anniversary. I was a little worried that it would get stressful since I was taking all the food to their home, but it turned out very well. I did most of the prep-work on Saturday, then Sunday after church and we got the girls down for their naps I headed down to their home to make the salad and get everything situated. It didn't take me as long as I expected so I had plenty of time to relax before Trent arrived with the girls. Our little party consisted of the honored guests, Don & Diane Hess, and their three boys, (Troy, Todd, and Trent) Todd's girlfriend Sarah, and then myself and our three girls. It was nice to all be together for this special occasion.

I have a lot of appreciation for marriages that are life-long. Far too often we see broken families, divorces, and hurting children as a result. I was reading my Bible today and I read these verses:

Malachi 2:13-15 "Another thing you do: You flood the LORD's altar with tears. You weep and wail because he no longer pays attention to your offerings or accepts them with pleasure from your hands. You ask, "Why?" It is because the LORD is acting as the witness between you and the wife of your youth, because you have broken faith with her, though she is your partner, the wife of your marriage covenant. Has not the LORD made them one? In flesh and spirit they are his. And why one? Because he was seeking godly offspring. So guard yourself in your spirit, and do not break faith with the wife of your youth."

I think many of us know people who have divorced and have not produced godly offspring. Obviously, this is not always the case. But what I infer from this text is that godly children are more likely to result when a married couple is together as ONE. And when they commit themselves in flesh and spirit to the LORD first.

The other day when I was talking with Anne we were sharing how much we love each other. And out of nowhere she said, "But Mommy, I love Jesus even more than I love you!" And I was so excited! This is something that took me YEARS to understand. How can I love God more than I love my mom? Or more than Trent? But this little three - almost four - year old gets it! Praise God!

So, thank you, Don and Diane, for showing your boys (and me!) what 40 years of commitment is like. Maybe you had rough times in the mix, but you stuck it out, you remained faithful to God and to your marriage vows. Lord willing we will be celebrating your 50th and 60th!

No comments:

Post a Comment