Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Homeschool Love

We have been having some severe weather here in the northeastern part of the United States. We have had heaps of snow (yay!!) along with some frigid temperatures. Schools have closed for both of those reasons. I don't remember ever having school closed because of how cold it was outside, but it has happened multiple times this winter. When the windchill is -20 (or whatever it was), I can't blame schools for closing and delaying. I remember waiting for the bus in the cold as a kid and it certainly wasn't the most fun I've ever had in life. (Although if we're being really honest here, it was more like me running to the bus stop before the bus pulled away. Still not a morning person.)

Facebook is alive with angry parents: some angry because school is closed, some angry because their kids are driving them crazy, some angry because their kids will now be in school past the originally scheduled end date, and some just angry.

Before I continue, let me say up front that I know homeschool is NOT for everyone. So, what I am about to say are just my opinions which are biased and potentially flawed.

As a homeschooling mama I love snow days. Winter can be long and hard. Snow days are so joyful. I find it beautiful that my kids can do their schooling, then bundle up and play in the snow. We still accomplish the schooling that needs done, but can enjoy the fun six inches of fluffy white stuff.  Now, the negative degree days were a little more difficult. We did our schooling, but going outside wasn't nearly as enjoyable. I have the privilege of having an unfinished basement that I sent the girls down in to ride tricycles and run around to burn off some energy. And the truth is - I did send my girls out on some of those really cold days. They were appropriately dressed and I only let them stay out for about 10-15 minutes, but it was worth it.

Have you heard of Common Core? I don't know much about it, but what I do know I don't like. You can follow this link to view a fabulous example of a Common Core math problem for a fourth grader.  http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/22/heres-another-impossibly-stupid-common-core-math-worksheet/

I think that article speaks for itself.

Up until we started homeschooling I would have said it was not for me. Now we are halfway through our first year and I love, love, love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment