Monday, April 25, 2011

How do you Love?


Our very rainy Spring...


I promise I haven't forgotten about blogging, but (can you believe it??) sometimes life with three little ones leaves very little time to sit down!

There have been several thoughts floating around my mind which I would love to sit down and work through and think about more.

I had one of those "woe is me" days a couple of weeks ago. I found myself thinking, "man, I'm so tired of being a Pollyanna. . . Always looking on the bright side is exhausting." And just as quickly as I thought that, a verse came to me. (Courtesy of the Holy Spirit, I'm sure.)

Galatians 6:9 (NIV) "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."

2 Thessalonians 3:13 (NIV) "And as for you, brothers, never tire of doing what is right."

As I was finishing up a week of study from Beth Moore's "Living Beyond Yourself" it *just so happened* to be on love and *just so happened* to coincide with Easter. One thing that I love about B.Moore's Bible studies is that she uses a ton of Scripture. I'd like to share some with you. Keep in mind that these verses, when using the word "love" is referring to "agape love".

From page 67 of the study guide: Agape is
~a divine capacity to love. Only God is capable of agape.
~more a response than a feeling.
~fueled by the needs rather than the desires of self or others.
~expressed through me when I surrender to the empowerment and temperament of the Holy Spirit.

1 Peter 4:8 "Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins."

Psalm 145:8 "The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love."

John 13:34-35 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another"

Remember, this is not love of the romantic nature or love of the friendly nature, but love that humans are not capable of unless the Spirit is empowering us to love.

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were STILL SINNERS, Christ died for us." (emphasis mine)

1 John 3:16 "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers."

John 17:4 "I brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do."

There are several more verses that struck a chord with me that I would share, but I can't at this time.

I wanted to end with the Scripture from John 17. Look at it again.

This passage is Jesus praying/talking with God.

It made me think about my own life. How am I bringing glory to God? What work has He given me to do? Am I completing it? How am I demonstrating love for my brothers?

It's something I'm still working through. I'd like to leave you all with a challenge to think about your own lives, ask yourselves the same questions. I would love to hear how you demonstrate love for your "brothers". One example could be preparing a meal for a person who just had a baby or is ill. I have had the pleasure of doing this several times in the past 5 years, and am looking forward to bringing a meal to a family with a new baby this week! =)

And just for fun... a couple pictures.


Abbey in boots.


My mom "Mema" and Magdalena at my sister's bridal shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment