Tuesday, March 24, 2015

DIY - headband/barrette holder

Friends, I have daughters. You know, four of them... I don't know about your girls, but mine love accessories. And when we had baby girl number four - I figured we needed to do something about all these adorable headbands and clips that were EVERYWHERE! They needed a place to call home.

This is not an original idea. I originally saw the pin on Pinterest. (I can't find the original Pin that I used. I think it was somewhere on this site: Your Modern Family .)

I made this last summer and am just now blogging about it. I know, I'm sorry. But it's my life.

Supplies needed: (in no particular order)
1. A picture frame - any old thing will do
2. Paint (if you want to change the color of your frame)
3. Ribbon (to match your paint)
4. Staple remover
5. "C" hooks
6. Hot glue gun
7. Sand paper/ sanding block
8. Drill {optional}

Step 1: Get a frame. I wanted my area for holding hair bows and headbands to be extra large so I purchased one. I found this gold frame at our local Re-Useit shop for around $8. {{I felt a little guilty when I was paying because the cashier noted just how lovely the photo in the frame was... I threw it in the trash.}}

 Step 2: Remove the backing from your frame. I found my staple remover to be very helpful in this process, though a needle nose pliers would work just as well if not better.

 

Step 3: Paint your frame. I wanted this to be a kid-friendly activity. It takes MUCH longer for three little girls to paint a simple frame than it does for one adult. But they had a good time doing it.
Step 4: Distress your paint. {Optional} I loved having the gold show through the pink. I just used a little block sander, but any sandpaper will work. 
Step 5: Have an impromptu photo shoot with your frame.




 Step 6: Add your ribbon. I just took one piece of ribbon lengthwise as my measurement for the rest of the ribbon. I hot glued each end of the ribbon to the back/inside of the frame so the ends wouldn't show.
 Step 7: I wanted my C hooks about every inch, so that I could have approximately 12 hooks along the bottom. From previous experience with twisting C-hooks I knew it would be a lot easier if I pre-drilled the holes. So, I did that really quickly, just takes a minute. Then my adorable helper screwed in several of these hooks. It was easy enough that a tiny five-year-old could do it.


Step 8: Hang it up!
Beauties



She wasn't happy about this photo shoot.

 There you have it, friends. A relatively simple and fun headband/barrette/clip holder. As you can see - last summer was the summer of headbands for Miss Caroline. Her hair has grown quite a bit since these photos were taken so she wears little fountain ponytails now. When she wants to wear a headband I know right where to find them. I love having a space dedicated to her hair accessories. I hung it in Caroline's room so as I walk out the door I can easily slip one off the hook and put it on her as we are leaving the house.

**Most of the headbands pictured are from Screaming Owl  . They have really cute things at reasonable prices for children, but they take FOREVER to come in the mail. Just a word of warning - don't expect to get your purchase before 4-6 weeks.**

No comments:

Post a Comment