Saturday, September 7, 2019

Medical Clinic + Bonding

Before I write about this day I really feel the need to thank you all again. You are all an encouragement to our family. Your considerate thoughts, prayers, and love are felt deeply on the other side of the world. I have been so bolstered by knowing so many of you are thinking of and praying for Heidi and for us. Your thoughtful messages have been so helpful on so many levels. I can’t thank you enough for walking this path with us. We certainly haven’t and aren’t doing this alone.



This morning I was feeling brave and brought Heidi’s bottle into the breakfast buffet. We found a glass bottle of what I thought was milk but I think it was actually soy milk. It was really sweet, also, but maybe that’s just how soy milk tastes. Anyway, as you can see, Heidi loved it! She drank the whole 6 or 8 ounces. Giving her the bottle is a beautiful way to bond. When we aren’t in public I will sing to her and continually make eye contact with her. It’s been really lovely to watch her trust in us slowly grow. 



Today was the day we go to the medical clinic for the visa. I believe this is necessary to make sure the child doesn’t have any communicable diseases that will be spread through the US. It’s a pretty painful day for the kids. All of the kids being adopted have special needs and some have spent significant amounts of time with doctors or in hospitals without the love and support of parents. It is a traumatic day for the kiddos. 

Heidi weighed in at 17 pounds! I don’t remember how tall but basically she’s the size of a 9 month old. Thankfully she is under 2 years old so she didn’t have to do the TB test which is a blood test where they draw blood. She definitely hated having her ears and throat looked at. Actually, she hated all the stations (laying down for her height and weight, and having her heart and lungs listened to). 



This is me in my natural habitat, talking to people about adoption. I was so excited to meet this couple. They are adopting a girl almost 14 and they named her Emily (so instant connection). But it turns out the girl they are adopting was 1. From the same province as Ruthie and 2. She was on Holt’s photo listing and 3. I remember seeing her on the listing, reading her bio, and praying a family would come for her before she ages out (in China you can’t be adopted after you turn 14). She stuck in my mind because her biography was written in such a way that made me wish we were in a position to adopt an older child. It’s really amazing how the right parents come for the children destined to be in their home. This family saw her in November and are in China now. They ran to her because she is their daughter. There are still so many children who wait for families. I wish that all of them could find their forever home soon. 




The appointments always get long. Heidi was getting tired and we were done and just waiting for everyone else. I turned around and these 2 were making themselves comfortable on the floor. 



Goodbye to this office. We won’t have to come back here. Heidi fell asleep on the bus ride back and kept on sleeping. We woke her up gently on our bed. 

She’s so sweet as she is waking up. 



Stretching!




Half-smiling. 



Big smiles!



She thought it was so funny when I laid down next to her. 



I’m the luckiest to get to be her mom. This picture just melts me. 

We got her to eat a big bowl of yogurt. We attempted a spicy chicken sandwich from Burger King but the chicken didn’t look done. It was odd looking so we’re hoping we stay healthy. Trent only ate 1 bite but I ate almost half of mine. The fries were still good. 

In the afternoon I went to do paperwork with the other families while Trent got Heidi down for her nap. He was supposed to wash out her bibs but apparently he was stuck on level 16 of some space invaders game he got on his phone to kill time. He did wash the bibs later. 



For dinner we met up with a bunch of families at the Muslim Rice Noodles shop. I got this bowl of dumplings as big as my head and Trent got a plate of noodles with scallions and some sauce. I probably ate 15 dumplings and there were still a bunch left so I shared them with the others at our table. The best part (in Trent’s mind) was the price. It was less than $5 US for both of our meals. Trent definitely wants to come back to try more from their large menu. 

And! Heidi drank a bottle of milk here. We tried to feed her before we left the room but she had just woken up so wasn’t interested. 



When we got back to the room she looked at this “Giggle Baby” book that all her sisters also loved. Heidi has probably already looked through it with us 20 times. 

Another surprise was in store! Trent lifted one page and told her to turn the page. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I watched her reach out a finger and turn the page. I thought maybe it was a fluke but she did it again. I was so thrilled to see her using her arms and hands more. 



It came time to offer food again. She started with baby rice cereal mixed with banana milk. She ate all of the small amount prepared so I made more but added a scoop of the formula to give extra vitamins and nutrients. She looked dubious at first but....



Mmmm... 



Another Heidi victory! We are amazed at how far she has come these past two days. Watching how she is learning to trust us is so beautiful and humbling. 

I’m truly honored to be her mama. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trent and Emily, I smile each time I read another post. It is truly amazing when we realize we are being God's hands and feet in this world. It is clear His hand has been in every step of your journey. May you continue to seek Him as you raise this precious child! Many prayers!

    ReplyDelete