Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Book of Life

Sunday the Anne girl told me that she asked Jesus to come and live in heart. I wasn't sure if she actually knew what this meant, and was hoping that we would get a chance to talk about it.

Today the opportunity presented itself. We were eating lunch, and as often happens, we have great conversation at the table. We were talking about what we are Thankful to God for, as we think about Thanksgiving. I told the girls that I am thankful to God for each one of them, that I love them, and I love how each of them are different. I said I am thankful to God that He sent His Son, Jesus, to earth as a baby, that he lived and he died to save us from our sins.

Anne chimed in with something like this, "I'm thankful to God that when I die I will get to go to Heaven because I asked Jesus to come and live in my heart." We had more conversation about why she needed to do this, because we are all sinners. She enjoys saying, "Even Mommys and Daddys sin sometimes." And I really believe that she "gets it". She prayed on her own that Jesus would come in her heart and that He would help her to obey Him. I told her that Mommy and Daddy are so happy that she did this, and that we prayed that she would one day accept Jesus even before she was born. I told her that the Bible tells us (Mark 16:15 NIV) He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation." I explained that that means we need to tell other people about Jesus so that they can love Him, too, and that they can go to Heaven when they die.

She immediately turned to Abbey and said, "Abbey, did you know that Jesus died on the cross to save you from your sins? You should ask Him to come and live in your heart!"

Abbey responded matter-of-factly, "I already did!"

I know that they are only 4 and 2 and 1/2, but I really do believe that they understand to some degree, and I promised Annie and Abbey that I would try to help them to continue to follow God and love Him all the days of their lives.

A little later Anne ran upstairs. I assumed that she went to the bathroom, but before long I heard loud singing. As I went to investigate, she was lying on her bed with her arms up in the air singing praises to God that He is living in her heart.

This Thanksgiving, I am thankful to God that two of my children have dedicated their little hearts to the Lord. And even little Maggie raised her hands to heaven to "Praise God" with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment