Friday, November 11, 2011

The Devil's Lies and a Sign

In case you couldn't tell, I was not my normal, happy self earlier this week. I'm very thankful to be feeling much better now and to have fresh perspective on life and what really matters.

In my last post I said "I am beginning to feel like I'm not doing anything of value currently, and so need to be doing something."

Can you see how this is (in the words of Trent) complete garbage?? These are lies that the devil whispers to us mothers. It may take the form of, "you're not doing enough," "you aren't a good mother," "you aren't a good housekeeper," "you aren't patient enough," etc. etc. In the depressed mood I was in I began to buy into the lie that I wasn't doing anything of value. WHAT?? Raising three daughters IS of value! Even if my house isn't clean, or I at times lose patience, or it is noon and I haven't brushed my hair, I AM BUILDING GOD'S KINGDOM. And that, my friends, is always of value, and always enough.

In my strange mood, I also prayed an odd prayer. I had prayed that God would reveal to me in a dream what I am supposed to do. Now, I have never before had a "vision" of what I was to do. But I thought it would be worth praying for. No, I did not have a dream, but God spoke to me as He usually does, through people and Scripture.

Yesterday I took the girls to McDonald's after Anne's 4 year well-child visit. Annie had to get 4 shots, Maggie got the flu shot, and Abbey and Anne both got the nasal-spray flu vaccine. I had told them if they were good girls we would go to McDonald's for lunch. Typically if we do this, we drive through and then take it home to eat. But for some reason, Anne really wanted to eat inside, so we did. And for some reason, they wanted to play in the play-area instead of having ice cream cones. And wouldn't you know, there was one woman out there with her two little boys, a four year old and a one year old. As this woman and I talked while the children played, she revealed to me that the sweet boys are actually foster-boys. So I took this "chance encounter" and accepted it as my sign from God that foster-adopt is indeed what we were to do.

Our devotions last evening shared this timely verse:

Psalm 27:14 "Wait on the LORD; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; wait, I say, on the LORD!"

I hear you, Lord!! Thank you for revealing yourself to me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you've heard what you needed to hear. I think it's so true that we can easily begin to believe we parents don't "do" enough, when caring for children is really one of the most important things we can do.

    ReplyDelete