Wednesday, December 21, 2011

An Anniversary, A Sisterhood, and Faith


On the 17th, Trent and I celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary. We had a wonderful evening the 16th. I dropped the girls off at my mom's (thanks Mom!) for their highly anticipated "Girls Night", then rushed home to get myself dressed and ready for when Trent arrived home from work. I wore a lovely bright-red holiday dress (borrowed from my dear Ashley) with a sparkly, gray belt. Trent and I went to Rainbow Dinner Theater where we enjoyed their Christmas show called "Home for the Holidays". We had good food, good company (two older couples sat at our table, both about to celebrate 50th wedding anniversaries!), and a funny show. Afterward we went to Trent's childhood best friend's 30th birthday party. We got home late but it didn't matter because we were able to sleep in since we didn't have any little ones at home to wake us at 6 am! We walked around downtown on Saturday morning, and I finally got to go to a shop I've been wanting to get to but it's just impossible with 3 little ones. It's called Building Character. It was a really neat place. I found an awesome box made out of old doors and painted white that I would love to have for a toy box. We then stumbled upon a restaurant called Sa La Thai where we were able to enjoy a quiet lunch. I was glad to get to my mom's to pick up the girls, but it really was so refreshing to be able to enjoy uninterrupted one-on-one time with the love of my life.


The Hess sisters are doing well. Typically Magdalena is my little side-kick, attached at the hip, girl. The other evening while preparing dinner she took up her usual spot, on my hip, while Annie and Abbey played in the living room. It didn't take long for the noise level to get high, followed by giggles and shouts and jumping. As Maggie strained to see what the big sisters were doing, she said, "Down". I put her down and she ran as fast as her short little legs would carry her to join in the fun. It was such a beautiful moment as both girls saw her coming and welcomed her with open arms into their Sisterhood. It brought tears to my eyes because as closely bonded as Anne and Abbey are, they had no qualms with making room for the littlest. I cannot take credit for this, but I do thank the Lord for it. I know this is not the case in every family so I am all the more thankful for it.



Doesn't it seem that when we are really pursuing the Lord that we grow so much more? I have really really been struggling with having the faith that God will work out the timing of everything that we hope will happen in the coming months. In my head, I know that He will, because He always works everything out, and when I look back I can see His holy hand upon each situation. But when I'm in the midst of it, it's so hard to see. That is how I am right now. I'm in the thick of the planning part of selling/moving/buying/fostering/adopting and I can't quite see the end result. I have an idea of how I would like all of this to look and work out, but I'm just not sure what God has in mind. I've reached a point in my life where I so desperately want to be in the will of God that it sometimes creates this tension in me because I am over-analyzing every situation and possibility.



And so, as often happens, God speaks to me through Scripture. In our evening devotions yesterday the following verses were shared.

2 Kings 7: 2 "If the LORD would make windows in heaven, could this thing be?"

Mark 11:22 "Have faith in God."

Hebrews 11:6 "Without faith it is impossible to please Him."

Matthew 19:26 "With God all things are possible."

Isaiah 50:2 "Is My hand shortened at all that it cannot redeem? Or have I no power to deliver?"

Isaiah 55:8-9 "My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are you ways My ways," says the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts."

Malachi 3:10 ""Try Me now in this," says the Lord of hosts, "if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it."

Isaiah 59:1 "Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; nor His ear heavy, that it cannot hear."

2 Chronicles 14:11 "Lord, it is nothing for You to help, whether with many or with those who have no power."

2 Corinthians 1:9 "We should not trust in ourselves bu in God who raises the dead."

With the busyness of Christmas just around the corner, I fully intend to take some time to spend with the Lord. Just to be quiet, to remember the birth of my dear Savior, and to reflect on the blessings of 2011. I am so excited for 2012, but I think that I need to remember to slow down and enjoy each little moment of peace that I can for the rest of 2011.



May the God of all Creation bring you Comfort and Joy this Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment