Thursday, December 22, 2011

Encouraging the Encourager

A few weeks ago I was challenged by a sermon to not bother to decorate for Christmas if I wasn't going to bother telling somebody about why I decorate and celebrate. So, I determined that I would share with a couple of neighbors why I decorate my home for Christmas, and ask why they decorate.

Anne learned a cute song in Sunday School that says, "Christmas bells, Christmas bells, ring on Christmas day! Tell each happy boy and girl God's son was born today!" Trent thought it would be cute if they sang that song to our neighbors when we distributed our little gifts to them. The girls decorated paper lunch bags and helped me make some instant cappuccino mix which we put into glass jars and decorated with red and green ribbon. We practiced the song and I worked up my courage and off we went.

There was no answer at the first door we knocked at, only to find out that the woman had gone to ring bell for the Salvation Army and would be gone all day. The next house was our dear friend, the girls sang her their song and gave her her gift. We crossed the street and went up the steps of the cute house of a sweet woman who was always very kind but I just never was sure if she knew about Jesus since I never asked.

We knocked on the door and to our delight, both the woman and her sister who lives next door to her were there. (Does God have perfect timing or what?) As we were invited into the home Abbey started ringing her bells and Anne and Abbey belted out their song. They were not nervous at all to share their faith and to share about the birth of Jesus! After the song was over we gave them their gifts and visited for awhile. We had a really good conversation about church and Jesus and why we celebrate. As it turns out, they do know the Lord, although they have not been attending a church regularly for awhile. They talked about their excitement for a Christmas Eve Service they hoped to attend. And, of course, they loved on the girls.

When we were getting ready to leave, one of the women said, "Thank you so much for coming to see us. You have no idea how much this means to me!" This woman was unable to have children, although she loves them dearly. Both sisters talked about how special Christmas is when there are children around. As I cast one last look at her perfectly decorated home and walked the few houses back to my own home with its sticky floors and books and toys spread over the carpet, I had to think about how right she was. My house may not be as beautiful as hers, but it is nearly bursting at the seams with love - love of God - love of family - love of neighbors - love of friends. I realized at that moment how truly blessed I am. I went to give simple gifts and offer encouragement in the name of Jesus to these neighbors, but I believe I ended up receiving more than I gave.

No comments:

Post a Comment