Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Stumbling Block

I recently posted on Facebook what I thought would be an entertaining debate on Santa. I asked Santa or no Santa, why or why not. Looking back, I wish I would've had the sense not to do that. There were, of course, many comments, most of them very passionate supporting their side of whether to "do" Santa or not.

I grew up in a home that "did" Santa. I believed in Santa, and have fond memories of staying up late with my sisters, listening for Santa on the roof, and looking forward to opening our stockings on Christmas morning, wondering what Santa brought for us. I don't remember an exact moment of when I learned that Santa was not real, but it was early in elementary school, maybe Kindergarten or 1st grade. I'm sure part of me knew prior to this that Santa couldn't possibly be real. Many of the people who were pro-Santa said to do it for the memories. I think this is what they meant.

*Best Friends*

When Trent and I got married and after we had Anne, we briefly discussed whether we would do Santa or not. Trent grew up in a home that did not believe in Santa, and after talking about it, we agreed that we would not pretend that there was a Santa that came to the house to deliver presents. Since we don't have any books about Santa Claus or a TV, we would have to completely fabricate a story to tell the children. It really feels like (and is) a lie. We want to always be truthful to our children, and believe it is important that they can trust us.

*sisters*

Looking back on my childhood, I can't say that I ever felt that my parents were liars because they told us about Santa. Trent and I are just choosing to do something different with our children, and I think that's okay. To be honest, I don't really have a problem with people doing Santa. I know that children enjoy it the same as they do other fairy tales. To me, this is a little different because you're actually trying to get a child to believe in something that isn't real and they can't see. We want our children to always believe in Jesus, even though they can't see him, and I would worry that this could be too confusing for little ones. Plus, when I have talked with Anne briefly about Santa and asked if she thought he was real she laughed and said, "no!" She has seen the classic Rudolph movie on YouTube, and recognizes Santa as a character, similar to Peter Pan or Bambi.

*My Magdalena*

Now to the stumbling block. After reading several comments on why people did/or didn't do Santa, there was one girl who commented that she thinks it is so cruel for people to not allow their children to believe in Santa and people need to stop forcing their religion onto other people. It made me step back and think. Are my thoughts about Santa creating a stumbling block for another person to come to Christ?

1 Corinthians 8:9 "Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak."

Of course, if a person is weak it could go the other way, too. If I do allow my children to believe in Santa, which feels fine to me, it could create a stumbling block for a person who believes it is wrong.

Believing in Santa Claus is not a salvation issue. So looking back, instead of creating controversy, I should have said nothing. My sister says that I'm an instigator, which can be true. I enjoy a hearty debate and can often appreciate both sides. But not everyone can. And so, I've repented of my error in judgement and will try hard not to do anything of that nature again.

No comments:

Post a Comment