Friday, May 24, 2013

A Great Loss

Twenty-eight years young. My age. A whole life ahead, waiting to play out, to journey, to love, to give, to lose. Two young people, in love, living life, two young boys and a baby on the way. A life cut short. A tragedy. An accident. Now one young widow, left to raise a four year old, a two year old and a baby due in a few short weeks.

A fall from a roof left a young man dead. Both high school classmates of mine. Dan Mast died on May 21, 2013, and left behind my high school friend Becca. I have no words to help, no words to give, no words to ease the pain. The loved ones he left behind now must carry on without him.

James 4:14 says, "Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."

Job 1:21 "and said: "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised.""

Hebrews 13:15 "Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise--the fruit of lips that openly profess his name."

Recently I have been caught up in the excitement of buying a house, fixing it up, painting, and right now I should be packing. Instead I sit here numb, imagining myself in Becca's situation. She has posted on Facebook about giving thanks even for the hard things. I have shared before about the Holy Spirit speaking to me through Scripture. The above three verses came to my mind as soon as I sat down to type.

Most of us cannot imagine bringing a "sacrifice of praise". Sacrifice means it isn't easy. It isn't the praise that we easily give when things are going well. It is the praise we offer to God when things AREN'T going well. When we are struggling with our health, finances, relationships, death.

Dan did not have any life insurance. If any of you feel led to give, please consider donating to http://www.danielmastmemorial.com/  . If you click on the link you can donate directly through Paypal or you can use the address provided to send donations.

All prayers are appreciated, especially as Becca prepares to deliver their third child.

No comments:

Post a Comment