Friday, May 10, 2013

What will they think of me?

On Wednesday we settled on our house! But all the time in the back of my mind I am wondering, "But what will people think of me?" When people would ask us about the house Trent and I were a little embarrassed to answer. The house does need some work, but it is a really nice house with 1.7 acres. I always feel like I need to tell people, "THERE IS NO WAY WE COULD AFFORD THIS HOUSE IF IT WAS WHAT IT SHOULD BE AND NOT A FORCLOSURE."

I think part of the reason for this inner-battle is because I know there are people who are really struggling to make it, day-to-day, and it seems a little unfair that we are getting this nice house. So I feel guilty and struggle over the fact that I do not deserve this house more than any other of my friends. If I have talked to you about the house and did not seem over-excited it is because I'm a little embarrassed and I'm worried about what you will think of me.

I debated whether or not to post pictures of the house on Facebook, but I went ahead and did it. Facebook is such a breeding ground for "one-upping" other people. I try hard not to fall into that category by just posting funny things that the girls say and cute pictures of the kids. But I knew I had friends and family that are not local who would like to see pictures, so I went ahead and posted them.

The interesting thing is this: we had put offers in on two other houses in the same price range as the one we purchased, and I did not really have this feeling about either of them. Why is that?  Well, one was an older farmhouse (which is what I anticipated we would be in) and the other was a 3 bedroom rancher. They were houses that were built a little bit more modestly (although the farmhouse did have the same square footage as our house, it just didn't look huge from the front.)

But the bottom line is this, we are humbled, grateful and excited to be in this house. We were surprised at how many people we know who live very close to us. I don't know what God has in store for us at this place, but I am looking forward to beginning our journey as "Southern Lancaster Countyans"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment