Friday, May 3, 2013

A New Adventure



Adventure Part 1- A HOUSE!

As most of you know, my dear husband and I have found a house, which will be our home, hopefully for the next 30+ years. The first day the house came on the listing I emailed it to Trent with this message, "Am I unnecessarily excited about this?" And he responded, "Yes."  The house was a HUD house (forclosure with government-backed financing). After the house was still listed for a couple weeks I kindly urged Trent to go look at it with our real-estate agent (who is also a friend). The house definitely needs some work, as the previous owners were not happy that their home was being forclosed on so they removed pretty much everything they could (cabinetry, shelving, light fixtures, mirrors, etc.) But over all the house is in good shape. We made an offer on the house (and I hadn't even seen the inside, yet), and the offer was accepted!! That was almost 2 months ago, and we are finally ready for settlement, which will happen in five short days.

The front of the house!
Those of you who know me best will probably be surprised at what the house looks like. I'm old-fashioned, and love pretty much anything that is old (old houses, old furniture, old people). I always imagined myself living in a nice old historic home with lots of old-world charm. But old houses require heaps of money and large amounts of time. At this point in our lives our focus is on our children and we don't have the time or money to spend on a true fixer-upper.

We are so grateful to have found a house where we can raise our family, and I am excited to paint and decorate. I'm not sure how my love of "country" decor will work with this house, but I'm eager to get started!

Adventure Part 2 - HOMESCHOOL
Caution Note: I do not intend for this blog to become a "homeschool blog" but I may have a few posts every now and then dedicated to the subject.
I always said I would never homeschool my kids. Do you know why? Homeschool kids are weird. It's amazing that being a parent for 5 1/2 years can changed things. I'm not exactly sure why, but whenever the subject of school is brought up (as Annie will start Kindergarten in the fall) I cringe.

For some reason I always feel the need to justify myself or explain why I am choosing homeschool. It's really rather silly, as I have never asked or even thought to ask any other parent why they choose public school or why they choose private school. I do not have any friends who homeschool their children, so maybe that is why. So many of "us" (as in moms with little children) base our parenting on how we were raised or experiences that we had. Some had awesome public school experience, so they choose public school. Some had wonderful teachers in private school, so they choose that for their own dear ones.

I had good and bad public school experiences and I had good and bad private school experiences. Some adamantly proclaim that it is what happens at home that is truly important. I was a child easily influenced by my peers. I see those same tendencies in one of my children. So for her, for now, for this year at least, I believe homeschool is the best option to help her succeed. She will still have her failures in homeschool as she would anywhere else, but I'm hopeful that with me there to guide her through her emotions that she will have a better chance at succeeding when she is daily faced with peer pressure.

Adventure Part 3 - MAMA HESS PAINTING
A few weeks ago I shared a "just for fun" post of some signs that I have been making. At the urging of my sister, Stacy and one of her photography clients who I did some work for, I started a "Mama Hess Painting" facebook page with some samples of my work. And the orders have come pouring in!! I am so humbled and amazed that other people actually like my signs. I really have fun making them (they are a great nap-time creation) and I'm honored that people want them hanging in their homes! I'm not sure where it will lead, but I am really grateful for the opportunity to create!

Adventure Part 4 - RAISING THREE LOVELY GIRLS
This is such a joy to me!! I am amazed that God entrusted three precious girls to me. The girls are constantly asking for a brother, although we recently had the privilege of babysitting a 5-month-old girl and they decided another sister wouldn't be too bad.  We are all still missing our foster-son. I had a dream the other night that the agency called and asked us to take him again. Just wishful dreaming I guess.....

3 comments:

  1. Exciting stuff! I'm so happy for you all. So is this house further south? I am guessing it might be since you were asking about piano teachers near Quarryville.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul - Yes, it is a bit further south. It's in New Providence. We're getting excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good friend of mine will be homeschooling her oldest this next year, and I have a number of friends who are homeschooling, so you're certainly not alone! But I think most people still look at it as a radical choice, so I can understand why you feel the need to justify your choice (although you shouldn't have to!!). I'm interested in hearing how it goes for you.

    ReplyDelete