Monday, July 8, 2013

Life Isn't Fair

Something that has been on my mind a lot is how "life isn't fair". Trust me, this is not a rant or a complaint on my part. But it is true. Life isn't fair.

I have a high school friend who lost her husband in a tragic accident. Another friend I played soccer with for many years lost her preemie twin son, and her husband who had an unknown heart condition, all in the same year.

Life isn't fair.

I know a young family who work hard, but struggle financially.

Life isn't fair.

I have friends who struggle with mental illness. They fight hard, but they struggle.

Life isn't fair.

I have friends who have had several miscarriages, who have had ovaries removed, who have emergency surgeries, and they struggle.

Life isn't fair.

Currently our family has experienced many, many undeserved blessings. We have a nice home, we are so excited to be expecting our fourth baby, we have more than we need. And it doesn't feel fair.

I have been looking for ways to bless some of these aforementioned friends who are struggling.

Our pastor on Sunday was talking about these blessings that we have, and reminding us that it is okay to have "nice things", but to be sure that we own the things, and the things don't own us. He was also encouraging us to use what we have been given. He gave the example of a man who had a really nice lawn mower and he shared it with his impoverished community.

As I think over the things or talents that I have, I am challenged and encouraged to share those with others. Because, the fact is, life isn't fair. We live in a fallen world. But we can have hope because God has given each of us gifts that we can use to encourage, cheer, and bless others with.

I know that I may not always be in this "season" of blessing. That there will be hard days ahead, just as I've walked through difficult times with the help of the Lord.  And I hope that when those hard days come again that I am reminded that "the Lord gives, and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord."


No comments:

Post a Comment