Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Our Right Now

This morning as I was standing over the step stool in my bathroom I had a sudden thought. 



Often it is irritating that our master bathroom has been taken over by the two smallest people in our home. They leave stuff out, drop things, and make messes wherever they go. And while I don’t really think I will miss moving this stool around what feels like 1,000 times a day, I do hope to look back with fondness at these moments. 

In order to more accurately look back, I want to jot down a few moments from a very typical day. This morning is Bible Study morning but the littles are sick with a cough, sneeze, and runny noses so we stayed home. 



I came downstairs to find these three snuggled together in front of the fire place with library books. 



I ran upstairs to give the littles a warm bath. 



I tiredly washed the dishes with Loretta Lynn pandora playing quietly in my earbuds. Quiet enough that I could answer math and science questions. 



I enjoyed this wintery view from my kitchen sink. 



All of this stuff was collected on the kitchen counter. Pretty sure this is one of those things I won’t miss too terribly. 

I don’t have any picture from today but I had to run out to get a CBC test done for Ruth to check her Hemoglobin. Yesterday she was extremely lethargic to the point that I was very worried that the minor cold she has would drop her Hemoglobin so low that she would need a blood transfusion. Thankfully after a very long nap and lots of prayers she perked back up but we still wanted to check her numbers to keep on her record. My mother-in-law dropped in to watch the big girls while I took Ruthie to get the blood drawn. 



The girls eat a lot of yogurt with lunch and as a treat I sometimes add sprinkles. 



Also pretty sure I won’t miss this constant mess of snow clothes, blankets, balloons and books. But it’s my regular, real life, right now. 



My lunch crew. 

This is only the first half of this day. In the midst of the mess there is so much beauty. We are given just one life and none of us know how long it will be. And so we take the joy from each day, we press closer to the Lord and closer to each other. While some days I think it may be easier to send my girls to school, I remind myself that they are mine for only a short time. One day they will fly the nest and I will look back at these simple, everyday moments and I will smile with fondness and encourage my girls as they start families of their own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment