Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Choices

We make choices all day long. Some, seemingly small and insignificant. Others, knowingly large and monumental.

Yesterday I made a choice to tell a "white lie" (also known as a lie) to Anne. We dropped something off at an individual's house, I'll call him "John". John was not at home, but his dog was barking at the window. We left a note on John's porch and left his stuff for him there as well.

As we were leaving, Anne asked why John has a dog. I said, "Well, I guess they like dogs and would like to have one at their house."

Anne said, "What do you mean, 'they?' I thought just John lived here."

This was met with silence. The truth is, that John lives with his girlfriend, and it is his girlfriend's dog.  I didn't want to tell Anne this so I told a partial truth, "Well, sometimes John's adult daughter lives with him. That's why I said 'they'."

The rest of the day my lie haunted me. I thought and prayed considerably about this topic.

One of the reasons that I want to homeschool is so that I can talk with my children about difficult subjects, and why we (as Christians) believe differently than the way the world. I don't want her hearing, accepting, and believing the misinformation she would otherwise receive from her peers. Yesterday I had an opportunity to do so, and I failed.

This morning I took Anne aside and reminded her of our conversation yesterday. I apologized for not telling her the whole truth. We had a difficult conversation about people living together without being married. I never mentioned the "d" word (divorce), but I know that conversation will have to happen at some point.

My hope is that through open and honest sharing and conversation about why God's way is best, that Anne (and all the girls) will make good choices throughout their lifetimes. Obviously they won't always make good choices, but I am hoping that they can always learn from their mistakes and try to love the Lord with all their heart, soul, mind and strength.

3 comments:

  1. Your openness and honesty will go a long, long way, even if you feel you have a hard time expressing your thoughts clearly. So many of my high school students felt frustrated with their parents who wouldn't talk to them about issues (sex was usually the most-avoided topic), and so then they had no choice but to learn from peers and whatever messages they got from social media. We haven't reached that stage yet where we'll be talking about tough topics, but I know it's on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. It is so tough, but I know these things need to be talked about in an honest way. Parenting is so challenging!

      Delete
    2. I know that we want to protect our kids...i feel for my kids...that I am teaching them right and wrong ...and if they hear something tht they are unsure about or they know is plain wrong they will come to us to talk about it...and I was right! Xavier in first grade learned a semi dirty joke...he came to me and said he wanted to tell me a joke that he learned at school..but he wouldn't say it..i asked why he says its inappropriate...i wanted him to tell me who told him the joke he did..i was shocked it was from. boy I really liked his family ! But I am glad Xavier came to me Nd he knew it wasn't something to be said again! I was PROUD

      Delete