Monday, June 17, 2013

Summer List

I've seen several people post "bucket lists" for their kids for the summer. Most of them have to do with vacations and enjoying simple pleasures of summer (lightning bugs, star gazing, etc.). I thought this was a cute idea.

Then I read Bonni Greiner's blog : A Bucket List for a Two Year Old?! and I loved it!

Instead of focusing on the fun (which is doubtless going to happen) focus on simple goals that are life-giving and life-changing.

I'm not sure that I'm going to tackle all five of her suggested categories which are as follows:
1. Godly character traits.
2. A physical goal.
3. Memorizing Scripture.
4. Read together
5. Community Service

The one I definitely want to tackle is number 1. I've notice a lack of self-control in two of my children. This has shown up in two different ways. One of the children has thrown a tremendous amount of fits if something doesn't go her way, and these fits can last up to two hours. It has been extremely frustrating and disturbing for the whole family. The other child who has been struggling with self-control has been using bad and hurtful words. She has been talking back to Trent and me and we have been upset by this behavior. Our third child has been very impatient. The moment she is finished with her food she immediately wants to be excused from the table. She is impatient to use the sink to brush her teeth and with various other things. I think a large part of the problem is a selfish attitude.

Today is day one of working on these traits. I want to look up a specific Scripture reference for each child to memorize to help them continue to work on their character trait. So I guess that will cross out number one and number three.

I talked with each child about the trait I want them to work on. Each child agreed that the trait I chose for them is something they need to work on, even though this morning has already proved it a difficult task to rise above these behaviors. And the character trait I will be working on this summer is patience. I've found myself getting very frustrated with the girls and yelling more than I would like to admit.

We are all a work-in-progress, and I really want my children to be aware of the fact that with God's help we don't have to be impatient, out-of-control people all the time. I hope to have a good report for all of you at the end of the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment