Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Gender Defender

I love my little girls. I love their different personalities, their quirks, their emotional roller coasters.

I read recently about the "millions missing" in India and China, where boys are preferred. Where millions of little girls are aborted because they are girls. The numbers are horrifying. I think most Americans would agree with the disgusting truth that these countries are literally killing off their future by having a preference as to a male child.

Yet I wonder how many Americans have a gender preference?  I'll admit that I used to. After we had Anne I thought it would be nice to have a boy next. But we found out we were having a girl. I don't like to admit it, but I remember having a momentary twinge of regret that I wasn't having a boy.

Then one evening on the way to Trent's parents' home I had an epiphany. Trent's mom had told me multiple times that after two boys she would have liked to have a girl, but they had Trent. And I was SO extremely grateful because he grew into a fine young man whom I got to marry!

Now we have our three little girls, and with the new baby on the way there has been much speculation and conversation about the topic of gender. I have truly reached the point where I do not care what gender the baby is! God has a plan for each baby, and if He is entrusting me to raise up amazing future wives and mothers than I should thank Him for that!

Just today an old man at the grocery store asked me where all my boys are and suggested that we just keep on trying until we get a boy.

I don't take offense to these comments because I know that, in general, most people are kind-hearted and they just want to have something to say and make conversation. Perhaps I would get similar comments if I had three boys - they would ask where the girls are.

One of the most intriguing comments I have heard so far is, "I hope for your husband's sake that you have a boy." I'm not really sure what that means. Trent, especially for growing up in a home with no sisters, is absolutely amazing with the girls. Sure, he can't even do a ponytail, but he always tells the girls how pretty they look, that he loves their "spinny" dress, that he is so proud of the way she did this or that. He hugs and kisses and snuggles and reads bedtime stories.

Maybe we'll have a boy, and I'm sure he will humble and stretch me in new ways than my daughters do. Or maybe we'll have a girl, and she will also humble and stretch me in ways different from her sisters.

And- if you are reading this and have ever made comments to me about the gender of our baby, that's okay!! I truly don't mind, this was just a topic that I have been thinking about recently. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment