Tuesday, April 21, 2015

For Such a Time as This?

If you have a moment, grab a cup of coffee and your Bible and read ALL of the book of Esther. It's not that long. And if you don't have time, just continue on with me. A few nights ago I painted this water color using a small portion from Esther 4:14 "for such a time as this".



The full text reads (NIV) Esther 4:14
"For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?"

As I was painting the border I originally planned to make a pretty wreath of greens and flowers. But then I got to thinking about the verse and about what it represented. Esther was just going along, doing what she was told to do/knew how to do/was encouraged to do. So I went with the green border to represent the every day events. And wrapped the green around and around the words. And then gently placed the purple among the green. There is much less purple than green. Because the purple is the "big" stuff. And we may not do a whole lot of big stuff in our lives. For Esther, Providence placed before her an opportunity to do something big. It was right there in front of her. She needed the encouragement to do what needed to be done.

Just yesterday a friend shared a blog post about cherishing the moments and enjoying the things our kids do when they are little. And the blogger had gorgeous photos to accompany her post. All the photos showed her children doing the things she mentioned, (running around in a diaper, reading books in a tent, playing on the couch) yet in a pristine, spotless home. No toys or books on the floor. Everything perfectly shelved and clean. She writes about letting the dirty dishes wait, but she doesn't show them to us. She shows these impressive, beautiful hardwood floors that were certainly just scrubbed.

Certainly not an Esther.
 And friends, let me just be real with you right now. Yesterday was just plain rotten. One particular child woke up too early. Again. And this child can get downright vicious with her words. We did not make a pretty picture. There was fighting, arguing, slamming doors, crying, children sprayed by the hose, more crying. We were a broken mess.

We have this monstrosity in our living room because my neighbor hates me loves my kids.



I have laundry still not folded.

 

I have these flowers that have been on my window sill (dead) for a week.



I have a shoe rack that can't keep shoes on it.



I have a counter that won't stay clean.



Friends, I am no Esther. I'm not doing anything big. I am messing up on a regular basis. I'm sorry if I have given you the impression that my life is perfect, because it certainly is not. Yes, I love my kids, and they are a joy (most of the time). But can I just be really honest right now? I will NOT miss days like yesterday. I won't. I don't cherish the time my child told me she hates me.

A brief, joyful moment from yesterday.
Don't get me wrong. I love, love, love my kids. And I try my best to find joy in each day. But I don't feel (too) guilty when I finally get those kids in bed and thank God that the day is over. I AM grateful that today is a new day, and we can show each other grace and move on from the place we were yesterday. But will I miss yesterday? No, I don't think I will.

 Okay, fine, I'll miss this.

5 comments:

  1. I love the book of Esther! It's so good! I completely understand what you're saying about being concerned you've given people the impression that your life is perfect -- that is one of the reasons I decided to log off of facebook for a while :) I've tried hard not to publicize my complaints on fb, but I'm concerned that in the process people may have come to believe that we're a family that has it all together! Haha -- that is not the case. I really am loving the time away from the internet & a surprising plus for me has been that I feel like I have more time to clean up around the house! (But the house is not at all perfectly clean -- if I figure out a way to accomplish that without neglecting the kids I'll let you know ;) ) Hope your day is great today, Emily! PS -- I think I might have passed you yesterday near the Buck?? Love, Ang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ang! Yes, we did pass each other! I thought that was you! And yes, I also try hard not to be a "Negative Nancy" on Facebook, but you're exactly right that it can skew reality. I'm making an effort to put my phone down and focus on what is "mine" to do. It certainly makes the day better if I am fully engaged and listening to my kids and their needs.
      Have a great day!!

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry I didn't wave! It was very much an after-thought when I realized it might have been you! :) We need to set a date to get together -- maybe for dessert here some evening when it warms up? What do you think? Our kids are done w/ school around the middle of June, maybe sometime around that time? Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your honesty. I think it's so easy to fall in to the trap of believing that others have everything together, when it's just not possible. I try not to read blogs written by people I don't know - unless those bloggers are the type to show the messy side of life. Otherwise, I end up thinking that some one some where has it all figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your honesty. I think it's so easy to fall in to the trap of believing that others have everything together, when it's just not possible. I try not to read blogs written by people I don't know - unless those bloggers are the type to show the messy side of life. Otherwise, I end up thinking that some one some where has it all figured out.

    ReplyDelete