Tuesday, April 14, 2015

A Day with Anne

Today I have a "Guest Blogger". This article was originally written for our church newsletter. The intent here is to give you a glimpse into our everyday, beautiful, messy life. From Anne's perspective. When written, back in September, Anne had just started first grade, and was 6 (almost 7) years old. **All photos are from the two weeks surrounding the date her article was written.**

A Day With Anne Hess
Friday, September 5, 2014
6:40 am – Wake up and come downstairs. Put on my rainboots and go outside with Daddy to feed our six chickens and check for eggs. Only one so far!

Our first egg - Aug, 2014
7:00 am – Read part of a horse book and play with the doll house with Maggie.
7:30 – Mommy wakes up and comes downstairs for coffee. I go upstairs to play with our little horses.
7:50- Breakfast. It's Abbey's day to choose – strawberry poptarts.
8:10 – Go upstairs, get dressed & brush teeth.
8:30 – Watch a movie. Abbey chooses Cinderella.
9:00 – School starts. (I am homeschooled and in first grade.) We do our morning routine – calendar, counting up and down to the date (5th today), Pledge of Allegiance.
9:05 – Friday is Test day: Spelling test first, I got 8 out of 8!
9:15 – Math Test – I finish quickly so I take Caroline into the living room to play while Abbey finishes her test. I got 17 out of 17! This is the first math test I have ever had.
9:30 – Bible – we read 2 Timothy 3:14-18. I memorized Psalm 1:1-2 for the first two weeks of school. Abbey, Maggie, and I all take turns saying this out loud. Abbey and I work on our handwriting while we listen to Mommy read.
9:40 – History/Geography – locate India on the globe and map. Pray for Hindus. I like to pray for the children who are “untouchables”. We also read about mud huts and different types of houses.
10:00 – Recess outside while Mommy puts Carrie to nap. I play on our neighbor's swingset and chat with our neighbors.

Our neighbors let us play here whenever we want!
 10:15 – Language Arts – practice expression when reading aloud
10:30 – Science – Night Animals. I read our five pages out loud to my sisters. We then answer questions on a worksheet about what we read.
10:40 – Math: Today we are counting by 2s, doing tally marks, greater than/less than, tens and ones columns, and adding. I have two homework pages that I do quickly.
11:00 – RECESS!! Play outside, collect eggs (3!), play “loving family” with my sisters.
Acting out a story with toy animals.
 11:30 – I wake Caroline up and carry her downstairs for lunch (I have a sandwich, clementine, and sweet potato sticks).
{{Sidenote: This is a funny Anne quote during lunch. Anne, “I read in a book that having a pony is a dream for many, but a dream come true for few.” I said to her, “Are you going to be part of the many or the few?” Anne was quick to reply, “The few!” For those of you who don't know, Anne loves horses!}}
I just love being a big sister to this little sweetie!
12:00 – lunch is over. I like to wipe Carrie's face and then play peek-a-boo with her.
12:05 – Take a blanket into our woods for our read aloud time. (Homer Price today)
Our favorite spot to read.


12:40 – Come inside to play. It was too humid to enjoy playing outside. I read a chapter book called “The Worst/Best Christmas Pagaent Ever” to myself.
1:05- Mommy takes Caroline upstairs for nap. I keep reading.
1:25 – Rest time. Mommy reads to the three of us older girls for awhile.
1:50 – Mommy goes out of our room. I read my book quietly.
3:15 – Watch the rest of Cinderella.
4:00 – Rest time is over. I practice piano.
4:15 – Go outside and skip count by 2s. (Jumping every 2 numbers which are written in chalk.)
4:40 – Come inside. A storm is coming. I see my neighbor friend who just got home from school. My mom doesn't let me go outside because of the thunderstorm. I get angry and run to my room and slam the door and cry. I sit in my room awhile. To regain control I brush and braid my hair. But I am still angry. I argued with my mom and made a face at her so I had to be sent to my room.
5:15 – I spy some pretty clothes. I put them on and decide to act like a princess. I dress Abbey and Maggie up too. We all act like princesses. We help mommy crack the eggs for dinner.
5:40- DADDY IS HOME!!!
6:00 – Eat dinner – scrambled eggs, sausage and toast. We eat a lot of eggs these days.
6:40- Finish dinner. I quickly run outside to play with my neighbor. We play at his house all evening. We swing, dig in the dirt, and talk with the grown ups. 

Our neighbors love little Caroline.

7:50 – Time to go home. We get ready for bed.
8:15- Daddy reads to us from “Little Town on the Prairie.” I am very tired. After we all pray I fall right to sleep. 

****Hope you all enjoyed a little window into Anne's world.*****

No comments:

Post a Comment