Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Abbey is six!

Abigail Frances. My second born. Do you know, I imagine I gave a fair amount of bad advice, or at least naive advice, after I had my first daughter? There's this strange thing that happened to me after I had a child. I felt powerful, and confident in many ways, and terrified and nervous in others. Then I had a second daughter and was even more confident I knew all about girls since I already had one. But this girl, this Abigail, was different from my first daughter (and I don't mean that in a bad way). She is also a very different personality from me (and this could be a good thing)!

Licking candles at Grandpa & Grandma Hess's house.

Abbey is diligent. She will get her work done. Whether it is school work, practicing piano, tying her shoes, telling a story, etc.

Counting on her fingers just to be sure she has the right answer.
Abbey also tends to be a bit of a perfectionist. She takes at least two times longer than anyone else to get everything done - all. day. long. It doesn't matter what it is, it will take Abbey longer to accomplish a task than anyone else. (Getting dressed, brushing her teeth, doing her homework, practicing piano, putting on her shoes, telling a story, etc.) This used to drive me crazy, especially when she was really small. When she was about a year and a half she decided she was going to put her shoes on by herself when we were already running late. I remember scooping her up into my lap and attempting to quickly shove them on her feet so we could race out the door. This just did not work for Abbey. She threw the biggest fit I ever saw. It was frustrating for me because I didn't think she was physically capable at her age to put her shoes on herself. However, she had seen big sister doing this, and she was determined she was going to do it as well.

Focused despite the distractions.
This is a common sight - head down, focused on her work in front of her. She prefers quiet.

Abbey is probably the most dedicated child I have ever met. She is a hard worker at all she puts her hand to. She may get frustrated if it looks hard or challenging, but she will always come back to it and throw herself completely into it and accomplish what she set out to do.

Abigail is extremely compassionate. She has such a tender heart for people. She hasn't learned how to fully express herself yet, but she is trying. She is the best of playmates with little sister Maggie. She is the best of schoolmates with big sister Anne. She is a tender older sister to little Caroline.
Maggie adores Abbey.
 Generally Abbey does not like change. I was honestly rather concerned about how she would handle the transition after we had Caroline. But it has been the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Abbey dotes on Caroline, she is so patient and loving with her. She was the first to ask when Caroline will get to be a big sister (still to be determined - if ever). Abbey loves to read books to Caroline. Abbey and Carrie share a love for soft blankets to sleep with.


Abbey is just about finished with first grade coursework which she completed with big sister Anne. She is working an entire grade level ahead of her age. I can't take credit for this. Abbey really is diligent in her studies. She may complain from time to time and throw a fit here and there, but on the whole, I have seen tremendous growth in her self-control over the past year. It has been so amazing to watch her learn and hear her read at higher and higher levels.


Abigail continues to love flowers. She was my biggest helper this past weekend when we worked on the flower beds. She probably helped pull weeds for a solid 30-45 minutes without once complaining or wanting to stop. It was really special for me to enjoy that time with her.
planting a flowering Japanese cherry tree.
Diligently digging up too old tulip bulbs.

Each of the girls gets to go on a Daddy-daughter date on their birthday. This year Abbey chose to go to the wind caves (which is where Anne went on her 6th birthday), out to lunch at a little restaurant, and to spend her $5 gift card to the Dollar Tree given to her by her Sunday School teacher. She saved her $6 from Nana and Great-Grandpa until she could decide what she wanted (bike tassels).


Abbey continues to bring joy and laughter into our home. She has such a great sense of humor. She absolutely loves to make practical jokes (like texting a picture of a rat to my mom who hates rats, or trying to scare me with a pretend mouse since I don't like mice). She also loves to tell knock-knock jokes. She has the best laugh where her mouth is open but no sound is coming out for about 20 seconds, and then she breaks out with joyful laughter.
\
Happy sixth birthday, Abigail Frances, I can't wait to see what this next year holds for you!

So much like her Daddy - I wouldn't want it any other way!

















No comments:

Post a Comment